What is 20Zz?
We want to make 2022 the year when everyone takes steps towards getting a better night’s sleep, for Suffolk and beyond. Here you will find resources which you can share to:
- Raise awareness about the importance of sleep for mental and physical health
- Spread practical advice to promote good sleep
- Get involved with championing sleep in your family, organisation or community
Why is sleep so important?
To help you stay well, we at Suffolk Mind use an ‘organising idea’ that we all have physical and emotional needs and a set of skills and resources that we’re born with to meet those needs. This is the Emotional Needs & Resources Approach. We have 12 physical and emotional needs. Sleep is one of those needs.
We all need the right amount of sleep in a 24 hour period, about eight hours for the average adult and less as we get older.
What can we do to get better sleep?
Here are some pointers recommended by experts:
- Learn and practice relaxation exercises, such as 7/11 breathing, to help you to go off to sleep more easily.
- Work on addressing unmet emotional needs – so that there is less to worry about!
- Have regular going to bed and getting times – and stick to them.
- Cut down on caffeine in the second half of the day.
- Get your room ready for bed. It needs to be cool, dark and well venitilated.
- Avoid watching TV or internet surfing in the two hours before we go to bed.
- Avoid using smartphones or tablets in bed.
Find out more about the need for sleep
Learn more about our need for sleep
Watch our animation here
Follow us on Suffolk Mind on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to be the first to see our updates.